The Great Scars of Mirrodin Update (A Proposal)
Today is an unusual day: I don’t plan to review an individual card. While I’ll mention many, and discuss some of the reasoning behind changes, I won’t be diving deep and looking close. Please take a look at the changes I’m proposing and let me know if you agree.
I hope you’re ready because I’m not going to waste time.
Scars of Mirrodin – Proposed Pauper Cube Changes
- Cutting ten cards, one from every color pair, to add two cards to each of white, blue, black, red, and green
- Added Kemba’s Skyguard to replace (UW) Ethercast Knight – the Skyguard is both life gain and evasion; the Knight never really mattered
- (U) Added Sky-Eel School to replace (UB) Probe – a strong evasive body attached to a filter effect on a fair cost; Probe felt anemic without a body attached
- (B) Added Grasp of Darkness to replace (RB) Igneous Pouncer – great removal replacing one of the last basic landcyclers left in from the last update
- (R) Added Vulshok Heartstoker to replade (RG) Gorger Wurm – adding additional aggro support in red swapping out a mostly redundant creature
- (G) Added Withstand Death to replace (GW) Thrill of the Hunt – creature pump upgrade in numerous ways
- Added Origin Spellbomb to replace (RW) Fire at Will – instant speed, card drawing creature seems more interesting than an awkward creature burn spell
- (U) Added Æther Spellbomb to replace (UG) Temporal Spring – bounce or cycling is an interesting decision instead of tempo denial
- (B) Added Necrogen Spellbomb to replace (WB) Pillory of the Sleepless – instant speed discard continues to push the subtheme of discard in black while providing cycling as the alternative; there is plenty of removal
- (R) Added Pyrite Spellbomb to replace (UR) Ogre Savant – burn or cycling fits better into a curve that wants to keep mana open
- (G) Added Horizon Spellbomb to replace (BG) Consume Strength – colorless land fetching that gets much better “on color” and even late in the game; there is plenty of removal and new creature pump spells coming in
- Added Perilous Myr to replace Moonglove Extract – a body with a bonus that makes combat awkward is more interesting than an expensive, colorless Seal of Fire
- Added Strider Harness to replace Whispersilk Cloak – the Harness reminds me of a repeatable Reckless Charge while the Cloak did little to board state on top deck
- (U) Added Plated Seastrider to replace Cloudskate – an early defensive body that can stay for a longer game feels right over a temporary 2/2 with evasion
- (B) Added Moriok Replica to replace Shade’s Form – Night’s Whisper on a body feels better than an awkward to use “make a critter a Shade” aura
- (R) Added Vulshok Replica to replace Chartooth Cougar – an aggressive burn spell on-a-stick finally removes the last basic landcycler
- (G) Added Sylvok Replica to replace Centaur Courser – flexible Naturalize on-a-stick is more engaging than a 3/3
- (G) Added Untamed Might to replace Wildheart Invoker – surprise “green Fireball” is harder to avoid than the telegraphic Invoker
And that’s it! Those are the changes I’m considering. Do you agree? Do you think I missed something? Check out the full pauper cube spoiler and tell me if I’m right, wrong, or some of both!
Believe me: I’m listening.