If you missed yesterday’s huge Scars of Mirrodin update proposal I encourage, no implore you to check out what I’m thinking and share what you think about it. I really do appreciate your perspective even if you don’t believe you wholly understand: all levels of knowledge, experience, and ideas provide insight into how my cube appears.
I think you matter! You win the prize, et cetera and so forth.
Entering the Danger Zone
There are a lot of things I like about Strider Harness:
- Once it hits the table it becomes an endless Reckless Charge of sorts
- It buffs a creature, turning “small fry” into “more aggressive guy”
- The cost to equip is just one mana: cheap and easy to play the “Equip. Attack. Move to Defender. Go.” game
Winning creature battles is very important in Limited. Hitting with slightly harder creatures slightly faster is certainly a path to victory.
However what I’d like to take out for this is a spot of contention. The comments speak this clearly: Whispersilk Cloak is also a very strong card. The Cloak does a lot of things too:
- Shroud is both a rare effect at common and a strong effect in Limited
- Unblockable creature is unblockable (Translation: Kills opponents dead.)
- Combining both effects on a creature like Halimar Wavewatch or Errant Ephemeron should lock a game up
I have no doubt about the potential power of the Cloak. What I have issue with is the all-too-often lack of relevance it has. Suiting up a 1/1 or a 2/2 doesn’t change a poor board state. It may break a stalemate but doesn’t help you climb back into the game.
The Harness, with it’s +1/+1 boost helps you trade up at worst and send in a fresh fatty at best. I’ve witnessed the fury of a Reckless Charge making aggro threaten quickly. I just can’t shake the feeling that boosting damage will work better with more decks than the Cloak has shown so far.